I know I have three wonderful boys. There are just those times when I ask "why me?" when it comes to those boys. Let me explain!
As I tell this story keep in mind that I love fishing. And I do have a philosophy of if you are going to fish you must bait your own hook. So typically bugs and things I really try to not BUG me. But my boys LOVE bugs. I don't mind that as long as they stay outside or in the bug jars.
Braydon and T.J. have been finding all kinds of worms outside on the sidewalks as it rains and even quite shallow in the dirt as they are digging when we work outside in the yard. T.J. is really good at finding LOTS of worms. Braydon likes to hold out for that foot long worm that everyone is in awe of.
One day it was kinda wet and drizzly outside when Jared and T.J. were out in the yard. Jared came in to warn me that T.J. had slipped his worms into his pocket. Smiling I noted this and confronted him the second he came into the house so the worms would make it into the jar and not onto my carpet or into the sink or bed! My question to T.J. was, "Can I see what's in your pockets?" T.J. answered, "I have no pockets!" Sure enough I looked at his pants and there were no pockets. Upon further examination of him I checked his coat pockets. Then again nothing. I then asked what he had done with the worms. He pointed to a little pocket on the chest of his coat. You know the one with a zipper and the lining is sewn in! Yup as I opened the pocket I cut about three worms in half!!! The pocket was FULL of worms. Now worms like dark safe places. So because the liner was attached to the inside of the coat I had to DIG them all out with my pinky finger because the coat was made for little hands. Those darn worms kept digging deeper and deeper into that pocket. I bet there were thirty worms in there! It really made me think about that whole bait your own hook thing again. I am not for sure these creepy crawly things are the bait for me anymore:)
After he got over the fact that I sorta killed a few opening the pocket we had to make sure all others were alive and kicking in their new home in the jar. After a few days we decided that worms really do like their home in the garden. And they also like to be fed in the garden. So we returned the worms to the garden and marked their home with a stick. Now all table scrap compost goes to feed our worms. Stop on by and see our shrine to those darn worms. I am not for sure how the boys are going to feel when we have to till that part of our garden to plant the corn!
6 years ago








No comments:
Post a Comment