Saturday, January 24, 2009

Pancakes N' Waffles

Jared hates pancakes. Whenever we go to IHOP, Village Inn, or Denny's and his meal comes with pancakes he will ask for a substitution. I have known this since we were dating. It is just how he is. He just doesn't like soggy pancakes. So I NEVER cook pancakes. It was a HUGE surprise when Braydon asked for pancakes one night for dinner. I didn't even know he had ever had pancakes. Jared was out of town so I thought that if I could find a recipe for them from scratch I could make them. (I do not stock pancake mix in the pantry.) So I looked in a little cookbook I bought years ago from the LDS Dry Pack. All the items needed, I had in my pantry. It was really easy to make, and it made just enough for us! I was shocked at how good they were. They were very firm and moist. When my kids DUMPED syrup on them they didn't fall apart! I thought that if they were this good it was a shot for Jared to like them. So I snuck them in one night for dinner. Jared tried them (like a kid trying new foods) and said "Hey these are really good!" Success at our house. We now have pancakes all the time. I have even saved leftover pancakes in my fridge and heated them in the microwave for the kids the next day. They love them!

Pancakes
2 cups milk
2 eggs
1/4 cup shortening
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 Tablespoons powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt

Mix milk, eggs, and shortening together with electric hand mixer till shortening is broken up into small pieces. Mix dry ingredients in separate bowel. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix till all flour is combined. It will be a bit lumpy because of shortening. Cook on hot griddle. Makes 24-26 4" pancakes.

My kids LOVE Waffles. Again Jared is very particular about his waffles. When I was wanting to use my food storage I was looking for recipes to use my wheat. I do NOT have a wheat grinder, so I was very limited in my recipes. Again I was looking in my recipe book from the Dry Pack and found Blender Waffles. I first tried them on the kids. (I do this a lot! They are really good test subjects.) They loved to do the blender and chop the wheat. When Braydon ate 4 waffles I knew this was another SUCCESS. Again it made just what I needed for us. And Jared even said they taste like the boxed mix I buy. (I WAS buying special waffle mix so they didn't taste like pancakes!) Not to mention they use food storage and are healthier for you.

Waffles
1 cup milk
1 cup + 1 Tablespoon uncooked whole wheat
2 eggs
2 Tablespoons baking powder
2 Tablespoons honey or sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 Tablespoons oil

Put milk and wheat in blender. Blend on highest speed for four or five minutes till batter is smooth. Add and blend on low remaining ingredients. Bake on hot waffle iron. Makes 8-10 5" waffles.

No comments: